The Chews Landing Fire Company was Incorporated in May, 1909 by a handful of interested citizens. The first fire house was located on the Old Black Horse Pike and still stands today as an apartment building. The earliest equipment owned by the fire company was horse drawn. The first motorized piece was a 1918 demo chemical truck costing less than $2000.00. This building shown here remained the fire house until 1948, when it was moved to the present Somerdale Road location. This photograph is estimated to be taken approximately in 1907.
The two bay fire station now located on Somerdale Road saw renovations in 1962 with a small hall added on. In 1966 the engine room was expanded to four bays. In 1973 still another addition added four more bays, two offices, a meeting room and lounge. Presently the engine room houses two 2004 Pierce Pumpers, a 2005 Pierce Rescue Pumper, a 1992 Ford F-350 Power Wagon, a 2000 Ford Expedition Chief’s Vehicle, a 2005 Ford Explorer Fire Prevention Vehicle, a 2005 Ford Explorer Duty Officer Vehicle and a 1998 95 foot FWD Aerial Scope Ladder Truck.
Gloucester Township Fire District #2 was formed in 1957 by township ordinance. Approximately 5.5 sq. miles, the District is serviced by the Chews Landing Fire Department consisting of both Career and Volunteer Firefighters, responsible for fire suppression, EMS and fire protection and prevention for approximately 25,000 residents. The Fire District has over 260 businesses, two elementary schools, one middle school, over 2,700 students and three large apartment complexes. It is estimated to have over $665,456,670 in ratables.